Monday, October 04, 2004

Muizenberg

A team of 6 today went to Muizenberg to work in the homeless shelter. 3 went upstairs to teach crafts- cardmaking- to the people so they can in turn learn how to make these on their own to sell. I was with the other 2, Cathy Wilcox and Joanne, who worked downstairs in the kitchen. Our "job" for the day was to interact with the people there. We all got there in time for the morning devotional and were able to pick up some of their songs fairly quickly. After devotional we split up. I don't have time to tell you about the many people we met today, except to say this place was so filthy that it was hard to eat the lunches we had packed, and no one wanted to use the bathrooms there. When I did break down to do so, I was so ashamed. These people use these facilities every day, and that's if they're lucky. Again, I cannot imagine how blessed I am, and how often I take it for granted.
The others will probably be posting about the construction and children's club they participated in today.
One more quick story, is that Jason, Leigh Ann, Mark Hall and I got to sing the song "Somebody's Praying Me Through" last night at the King of Kings church- coincidentally, this is the same night that Brentwood was doing the musical at the church, although I think we had them beat by several hours! I know I was blessed by the experience, and judging by those congregation members that I talked to afterwards, they were blessed too.
The line has formed- several are waiting to use the computers, so fare well for now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i can't believe you have to go halfway across the globe to prove you can paint, do construction and get up on time. that's just silly! i'm just kidding. it's nice to be able to read what's going on, so keep it up. i'm so excited for you and am praying for you all the time. take care of yourself and keep away from the monkeys...they're crazy. i love you and miss you. ~ari