Friday, October 08, 2004

And we're off...

Goodbye Capetown. Our work is done, but really only just beginning. We've met so many wonderful people here- our host family, the Johnsons, John and Avril Thomas, Big John, and Uncle Edsil- some of my personal faves- and all the people at the homeless shelter in Musizenberg this week has made this trip so worthwhile. I realized that it wasn't about the work projects being done, or the tasks to be completed. For me, it was all about the relationships I formed, showing God to others, and seeing God in them as well. It was so much harder than I ever could have imagined leaving the shelter in Muizenberg today. There were some heartbreaking moments, some joyous ones, and some bittersweet ones.

I became fairly close to one of the men there named Leslie who worked in the kitchen. He was teaching me some Afrikaans, and he and I would engage in playful banter everyday. I really think of him as a big brother type, so it was hard to say goodbye not knowing if I would ever see him again. On one hand, when I return to South Africa I would love to come back and work in Muizenberg, but I don't want Leslie to be there. I want him back to work as a silk screen printer, which is what he used to do before the governmental change, and what his heart longs to do again. So it's bittersweet because, yes, I want to see these wonderful people again, but in a year or two when I come back, I pray that I don't see them at the homeless shelter. Hopefully through programs such as the Lifeskills classes that Living hope sponsors many of these folks will be off the streets and able to support themselves. My biggest task in helping them comes now when I begin to pray for them faithfully.

Tomorrow morning we leave for Johannesburg, or Jo-Berg or Joey, as the Captonians call it! We have another plane flight ahead of us and then a 4 hour bus ride to get to the game park where we will hopefully see some elephants, among other animals. (ps- I finally saw the penguins today and I cannot tell you how exciting that was!!!) No internet connection there though, so you'll have to be kept in suspense until next Wednesday when we will all be safely back in Brentwood and ready to share our pictures and stories with you all who have been missing us and praying for us. Thanks for the comments- you guys are great!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well done good and faithful ones!!