Thursday, October 04, 2007

Construction Junction

Thursday, day 4 of working, and we are all finishing up our projects. You can't imagine the span Living Hope has across Cape Town- currently they have a Christian radio station started by John Thomas' wife Avril, they have centers at Muizenberg, Capri, Masiphumelele, Ocean View, Red Hill, & Capricorn, along with having the Health Care Centre. Their focus is primarily home based health care, and education about the prevention of HIV/AIDS.

Our construction team has been at the Capri center all week, adding a wall to a loft area to close in the upstairs, and repainting the whole interior of the building- no small task with concrete walls and vaulted ceilings! Living Hope used to use the Capri center as their central hub where the admin offices were. Having outgrown this building now, admin has moved next door, and Capri is more of multi-purpose building. Sewing classes are held upstairs and various support groups meet here during the week, and the Living Hope staff have their weekly Monday morning devotional time here as well, which we were blessed to be a part of on Monday. After a short devotional, each staff member went around the room and told what projects they would be working on during the week. We then spent a good amount of time in prayer and spontaneous song & worship. It was a privilege to be able to get a glimpse of what a typical day at Living Hope looks like.

After that, it was down to business, moving furniture out of the way, and prepping to paint. As you can see in the picture above, Bill Bedi, Christina, Rachel, & Tami helped to demolish the old reception desk (as Pat Ball, the Volunteer Co-ordinater for Living Hope, put it- to send the desk where all good desks go when they die!). Christina, Rachel and I tackled the top floor painting, while Leslie, Tami, and Amy started on the bottom floor. Construction seemed to be going well. I batted my eyelashes at Des, the Living Hope maintenance man and convinced him that we really did need some primer to cover the dark green paint. (Ask Bill Bedi to tell you the story if you know him- he embellishes it way more than I do!) Bill spent a lot of time supervising & talking to Des, and he did spend an entire day hanging the door. Tom Blough worked hard & quietly from atop the scaffolding, until his infectious laugh rang out through the rafters! We lost a few people to other projects during the week, and also picked up a few along the way. Christina became known as the Queen Bee. Larry, our friend from Alabama was shortened to Bama, and I was known as Kentucky.

We shared lots of laughs and did a lot of hard work- way more than my sedentary lifestyle is used to! I would say the construction team had a very different experience from most of the team because we were so secluded at Capri, having almost no interaction with any of the South Africans. God continued to remind me each day that whatever I do, to do it for God's glory- through all the menial tasks- whether that means scraping paint off the floor, trimming base boards, vacuuming, or building, that it is all for God's ultimate glory.

Our team repeatedly refer to our personality types in joking throughout the week to explain or justify certain behaviors according to the PLACE class DISC method. Well I am an I, a people person, so I was questioning why God would put me on the construction team when I have little skill in this area (although it turns out I am a pretty good painter), and away from the possibilities to form relationships with the people of Cape Town. I got my answer in some unexpected ways. I formed bonds with my fellow construction team mates, and we had a ball whatever we were doing. Secondly, we all got a surprise today when Marius, one of the health care center patients came by to give us a thank you card he had made and signed, along with other staff & patients signatures, to express their gratitude for our work at Capri. Here I was thinking all week that while I understood the importance of the work we were doing in the grand scheme of things for Living Hope, I couldn't see how it was impacting people on a personal level. Marius blessed us in this way, and as many of you know, you will go on a mission trip to try and bless others, and you end up being blessed yourself. Meeting Marius and hearing his story, and having him thank us for the work we did was just the little bit of relational bonding that I had been missing all week and God provided that for me!

I will close now by saying that almost never are your own expectations met when you go on a mission trip like this- things change and you almost never end up doing things exactly as planned. The only expectation that can be counted on is that if your hearts are prepared, then God will show up and work in you and through you, and He certainly has done that with our team.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How amazing! It sounds like God has put you just where you need to be. I know that you will be open and listen to His words and allow Him to work through you. Stay safe and know that we love you and are praying for you. ~ari

MamaB said...

So glad to read your blog and the others as well. Just got back from dad's house so I have been out of touch.
I always knew you were a good painter and you definitely know how to bat those eyelashes!!
So glad that God is blessing your whole mission team and the people in CapeTown as well.
Hope your last few days there will be even more meaningful.