Sunday, October 08, 2006

Sunday

This is our last evening in Capetown, and we have had another full day. There is so much to experience and to process-it is rather overwhelming, for me, at least.

This morning we attended King of Kings Baptist Church (where John Thomas is the pastor) and also Masiphumelele Baptist. King of Kings is similar to our traditional evangelical suburban America church-a nice building, a worship team, a sound system, printed bulletins-along the same lines as BBC (just on a smaller scale). Then we went less than a mile away to Masi Baptist, which might as well be in a different world. (This is the building our construction team worked on all week.) The service is usually in Cosi (which I'm sure I am misspelling), but since we were there today, much of it was translated into English. No piano, no fancy offering plates, none of the "ordinary" things we never think twice about, but the people were so joyful. While these services were completely different from each other, the love of God and the desire to know Him know not the boundaries of race, socioeconomic status, language, anything. It was amazing. Sadly, we heard during the announcements that during the early hours of the morning this morning, a fire swept through one part of the Masi township destroying 200 homes and leaving more than 1000 people homeless. The shacks in Masi are so small and so close together that a fire can spread like, well, wildfire. We saw the site of the fire, and already people were clearing debris, salvaging anything worth keeping, and beginning to put up framing for new shacks made out of scrap lumber, tin roofing material, anything they could get their hands on. Amazingly, no injuries or deaths were reported at all.

Tomorrow morning most of us leave very early to fly back to Johannesburg. Two of our team have decided to stay here a couple more days to continue IT work at some of the Living Hope locations. The rest of us will fly to Jo-burg to spend a couple of days at one of the game parks before we depart for the States on Thursday and arrive home on Friday.

On behalf of our entire team, I covet your prayers for us as we sort through and process everything we have seen and heard and felt and experienced while we have been here. So much has happened this week that doesn't fit into any existing frame of reference in my mind, and I'm not yet sure how to deal with it all. When we return, I will go back to my same job, my same house, my same life, and yet I am not the same as I was when we left. I think God has worked in each of our hearts in incredible ways this week (and will continue to even as we leave tomorrow), and we want to take the hope and joy and love we've experienced here with us, whatever that may end up looking like. I don't know.

We have thought much about Bill and Creely Wilson over the past few days. While our hearts are so burdened by his death, we are thankful to be living out the vision and legacy he began at BBC. (For those of you who don't know him, Bill was the former senior pastor of BBC and then was the first missions minister, I believe, and he passed away this week.)

So thank you for your love and prayers and support and emails while we have been here, and, as I mentioned, please continue it--just because we are leaving here tomorrow, I think the journey for each of us is far from over---

No comments: